November 1, 2013

If Fashion Week was a Horror Film / My Halloween Fashion Comic for Dazed & Confused

Kitty N. Wong / Rei Kawakubo Commes des Garcons fashion comic

Kitty N. Wong / Marc Jacobs Louis Vuitton showgirls fashion comic
It feels surreal but my very first illustration feature with Dazed Digital is out now, they're the online companion to Dazed & Confused magazine. I used to buy secondhand copies of i-D and Dazed magazines at the huge BMV bookstore in downtown Toronto during 1st year university and I used to leaf through them thinking how cooool are all these people? And then I'd carefully cut out my favourite pages and save them for collaging, but after 1st year university I ran out of money and stopped buying magazines and just bought food instead.

So needless to say I'm super excited to be working with Dazed for this Halloween feature, "If Fashion Week was a Horror Film". 

There are 5 storyboards, with each image being it’s own story about the designer and their dark S/S 2014 collection:

1. Rei Kawakubo and her Commes des Garcons girl gang.
2. Marc Jacobs's Louis Vuitton circus.
3. The Maison Martin Marigela laboratory.
4. Meadham Kirchhoff's heaven and hell.
5. Thom Browne's mental asylum.


Kitty N. Wong / Martin Margiela fashion laboratory comic

Kitty N. Wong / Meadham Kirchhoff heaven hell SS14 fashion comic
You can read more about the story and the illustrations on DazedDigital.com.

Kitty N. Wong / Thom Browne Asylum SS14 fashion comic
Click through after the jump to see my drafts and process for the project.


Kitty N. Wong / fashion comic drafts
And for good measures, here are some of my drafts. I always always like how drafts turn out, so loose and full of promise.

This has been one of the most fun (and stressful projects) I've done, because I was out of town for my drawings exhibition I did all the drafts and line drawings in Toronto away from my usual supplies and light table but with a lot of white-out and fun times with friends, thanks Esther and Markus! It's like everything I've been wanting to do, draw comics with girls and fashion and write weird little things. I'm so happy and grateful.

Thanks to the editor Isabella Burley!

How was your Halloween? Did you throw on a lab coat and tell people you were Martin Margiela's design assistant? If you loved the post, share it with your friends by clicking the social media buttons below!

No comments:

Post a Comment